So I recently bought Steven Mitchell's translation of the Tao Te Ching. In another life, I think I read this as an East Asian Studies major in college but I have zero recollection of it.
As part of this year's intention to be all in on being yogic, I will be reading this. For the Tao Te Ching, I have decided to post a week for the rest of the year. I will post them on Monday's.
- Verse 1
- The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
- The unnameable is the eternally real. Naming is the origin of all particular things.
- Free from desire, you realize the mystery. Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations.
- Yet mystery and manifestations arise from the same source. This source is called darkness.
- Darkness within darkness. The gateway to all understanding.